The Purpose of Labels.They are used to give information about the products.
The social functions of food, drink, and medicine labels1. To choose food/beverage/medicine which is suitable and safe.
2. To avoid negative effects of food/beverage/medicine.
3. To get the best result of medication.
A Label Contains/Generic Structure of Labels1. Name of the product,
2. Name of the brand,
3. Description of the product,
4. The ingredients/the contents,
5. The nutrition facts,
6. Suggested uses/doses,
7. Storage, and
8. Expiry date.
Language Features of Labels1. Terms used in the product: serving size, servings per container, dosage, values.
2. Using imperative sentence (examples: keep the syrup in a dry place. Keep away from children, Don’t accept the product if the seal is broken, etc)
3. Noun phrases (examples: significant source, dietary fiber, saturated fat, etc)
Contoh Label Medicine dan Food.
The example of medicine label
The example of food label
Bagian-Bagian Label Medicine and Food
Parts of Medicine Label
Parts of Food Label
Download PowerPoint Materi Food and Medicine Labels.
Contoh Soal Medicine and Food Labels.Choose the correct answer
The following text is for questions 1 to 3
1. What is the name of the product?
A. Mustika Jaya.
2. What are the ingredients of the product?
A. Coffee and milk.
B. Coffee and sugar.
C. Coffee, milk, and salt.
D. Coffee, milk, and sugar.
3. According to the label, the product should be used . . .
A. any time
B. on fifth of March two thousand twenty-three
C. after fifth of March two thousand twenty-three
D. before fifth of March two thousand twenty-three
The following text is for question 4 to 9
DRUG WARNING LABEL
May cause drowsiness or impair alertness. Avoid alcohol and drugs with sedative and/or relaxing effect, especially before driving a motor vehicle.
May cause a drug habit. Must not be taken over a prolonged period.
Talk to your pharmacist
Talk to your pharmacist before using this product. He/she must explain the specific instructions to be followed when taking this medication.
Maybe hazardous to your health if you suffer from hypertension, prostatic hypertrophy, hyperthyroidism (goitre), or if you are taking antidepressants.
Not recommended for diabetics. This medication may cause adverse effects.
Contains aspirin. Must be avoided if you suffer from gout, stomach ulcers, asthma, or if you are taking an anticoagulant agent (blood thinner).
4. What is the synonym of "drowsiness"?
5. "May be hazardous to . . .”(Contraindication)
The antonym of the underlined word is
6. If the medicine is labelled "Drug dependency", this means that . . .
A. it makes people sleep
B. it is dangerous for children
C. it can cause drug addiction
D. it should be taken for a long time
7. Why are people with diabetes not recommended to use the medicine? Because . . .
A. it may cause adverse effects
B. it will make the people thin
C. it can kill the people
D. it is very expensive
8. What kind of drug should be avoided by a person who suffers from gout?
A. The drug which contains aspirin.
B. The drug which can cause migraine.
C. The drug which makes people sleepy.
D. The drug which is sold on the free market.
9. Which statement is TRUE according to the text?
A. It is important to ask for suggestions from a pharmacist before taking a drug labelled talk to your pharmacist.
B. If you are taking antidepressants, it is suggested that you take a drug with the label drowsiness on it.
C. It is suggested to take a drug with the label Drug dependency for a long period.
D. It is alright to ride a motorcycle after taking a drug with the label drowsiness on it.
10. Look at the pictur
Which activity should not be undertaken when taking the drug with the label above.
A. Driving a vehicle.
11. Look at the picture
The notice means . . .
A. we have to shake the medicine well before using it
B. we have to shake the medicine well after using it
C. we have to prepare a shaker to use the medicine
D. the medicine is very liquid
12. Look at the picture
A. with meals
B. before meals
C. without meals
D. with a lot of meals
13. Look at the picture
DO NOT DRINK
The label means..
A. the medicine contains some soft drink
B. we should not drink any water when taking the medicine
C. we should drink plenty of water after taking the medicine
D. we should not consume soft drinks when taking the medicine
The following text is for questions 14 to 16
14. What does "runny nose" mean?
A. When there is a lot of dirt blocking your nose.
B. When the nose produces a lot of liquid.
C. When the nose has run down.
D. When you have a long nose.
15. Which of the following sicknesses cannot be relieved by this medicine?
16. How does the drug work?
The following text is for questions 17 to 21
111 PINE DRIVE GRANDLAND
NAME : Sarah Connor
ZENDREX 10 mg
Exp : 07/08
One tablet daily
In the evening or at bedtime
CAUTION: Avoid operating a motor vehicle
if drowsiness occurs.
DISCARD AFTER 15/08/23
Keep out of the reach of children
17. What is the name of the patient?
D. Sarah Connor.
18. What is the name of the drugstore?
A. Dr James.
B. YG Pharmacy.
C. Sarah Connor.
19. The drug is to be taken . . .
A. two tablets daily
B. when going to bed
C. when drowsiness occurs
D. when operating a motor vehicle
20. Where should the drug be kept?
A. Away from direct light.
B. Near hot places.
C. In moist places.
D. Near children.
21. The drug may not be used . . .
A. before fifteenth August two thousand and twenty-three
B. after fifteenth August two thousand and twenty-three
C. after August two thousand and twenty-three
D. after two thousand and twenty-three
The following text is for questions 22 to 25
423 OLD LAKE ROAD
NAME : Rob Thomas
ZENDREX 40 mg
Exp : 08/09
One tablet daily, with or without food.
Preferably at the same time every day.
Take exactly as directed. Do not alter the quantity or frequency of dosage.
Store at controlled room temperature (250C)
22. What is the name of the physician?
B. Rob Thomas.
C. Dr Han.
23. How many tablets should be taken in a day?
24. "Take exactly as directed. Do not alter..."
What is the meaning of the underlined word?
25. Which statement is TRUE according to the text?
A. The drug is intended for Rob Thomas.
B. The patlent may modify the dosage if needed.
C. The drug should be stored in the refrigerator
D. The drug should nat be taken after the eighth of July
The following text is for questions 26 to 30
26. What is the name of the product?
A. Spicy Chicken Soup.
B. Spicy Chicken.
C. Nissin Foods.
27. How many vitamins does the product contain?
28. Based on the Percent Daily Values on a 2,000 calorie diet, how much dietary fibre is needed every day?
A. 38 g.
B. 30 g.
C. 25 g.
D. 3 g.
29. Based on the Percent Daily Values on a 2,000 calorie diet, how much more saturated fat is needed when consuming this food?
A. 7 g.
B. 13 g.
C. 20 g.
D. 25 g.
30. From the label, we know that the product contains . . . sugar.
A. a lot of
The following text is for questions 31 to 33
31. The product is useful for those who....
A. want to buy cooking wares
B. want to cook
C. are travelling
D. are on diet
32. How many servings can be provided from a container?
33. The product does not contain . . .
The following text is for questions 34 to 36
225 aspirin tablets, 200 mg
Active ingredients (in each
Used for temporary relief from
minor aches and pains due to:
· common cold
· muscular aches
· minor arthritic pain
SEE CARTON FOR FURTHER
34. How many tablets are there available in the package?
35. The medicine is intended for relieving . . .
A. major pains
B. minor pains
C. permanent backache
D. permanent minor pains
36. What should a person do to know further information about the medicine?
A. Take the medicine.
B. Use the tablets right away.
C. Read information on the carton.
D. Read information on the tablets.
The following text is for question 37 to 42
(Boost Flexibility for Healthy Joints)
Healthy Joint capsule is a supplement that can improve the flexibility of joints. The combination of Glucosamine and Chondroitin helps reduce the uncomfortable feeling when moving the joints. These essential nutrients boost fiexibility and make the cushioning material between joints function better. It is also supported by Vitamin C that helps to improve suppleness It also combats any harmful effects of free radicals that may destroy the joints cells The manganese is used to boost immunity.
HALAL animal source is used as the gelatine and it is free from any TSE/BSE sources.
Amount per 2 Capsules
Glucosamine Sulfate. kcl
Take 2 capsules 3 times daily for adults after meal
Not a significant source of saturated fat, dietary fiber, and calcium
Each Bottle contains 100 capsules
Manufactured by Medicine You CO
Best before 15/06/2020
37. The medicine is intended for those who have a problem with their . . .
38. What nutrients are needed to make the cushioning material between joints function better?
B. Vitamin C.
C. Manganese and Sodium.
D. Glucosamine and Chondroitin.
39. The drug is suggested to be taken . . .
A. two capsules three times a day
B. two capsules in the morning
C. three times in the evening
D. twice a day
40. The drug should be taken . . . we have a meal.
41. "The manganese is used to boost immunity."
The underlined word is closest in meaning to . . .
42. The drug must not be consumed . . .
A. after fifth of June two thousan and twenty
B. before fifth of June two thousand and twenty
C. after fifteenth of June two thousand and twenty
D. before fifteenth of June two thousand and twenty
The following text is for questions 43 to 46
*Ingredients: - Minimally processed ground beef
- Contains no artificial ingredients
No antibiotics, no added hormones
Cattle raised, fed, and handled in a humane manner in accordance with White
Oak Pastures "AIl Natural Protocol".
· Born, nourished and processed in the USA
· Not raised on public lands
· Raised without antibiotics
· Any supplemental feeding is minimal and limited to natural grains and forages
KEEP REFRIGERATED OR KEEP FROZEN
A. A chef.
B. A farmer.
C. A landlord.
D. A fisherman.
44. The label claims that it's all natural protocol . . . the cows are raised, fed, and handled in a humane manner.
B. because of
45. "Any supplemental feeding is minimal and limited to natural grains and forages."
What is the meaning of the underlined word?
46. In which of the following places is it best to store the product?
A. A freezer.
B. A cupboard.
C. A large bowl.
D. A closed pan.
The following text is for questions 47 to 51.
47. What is the product made of?
A. Pure cows' milk.
B. Milk and water.
C. Milk and sugar.
D. Milk and salt.
48. Based on the label, how is a glass of whole milk made?
A. Add some water into the can and add some sugar.
B. Pour three spoons of milk and add some water.
C. Put all content into the glass and drink it.
D. Add water to the milk.
49. "Evaporated Milk"
What is the meaning of the underlined word?
A. To change solid thing into liquid
B. To change a liquid into vapour
C. To make something more liquid
D. To make something hard
50. Which of the following statements is TRUE according to the text?
A. It is suggested that we dilute the product for cooking purpose.
B. The product cannot be consumed by infants.
C. We can find the product only in USA.
D. The product contains preservatives.
51. What should a person do when they want to give the product to an infant?
A. He should boil the product
B. He should add some sugar in it.
C. He should melt the product first.
D. He should dilute it with boiled water.
The following text is for questions 52 to 55.
52. Whom is the product beneficial for?
53. How many capsules might be consumed at once?
54. When should a person take the capsules?
A. Before sleep.
B. In the morning.
C. In the afternoon.
D. In the morning and in the afternoon.
55. "Improve power, strength, endurance, and focus . . . “
The underlined word is closest in meaning to
56. The product should be taken . . . a meal.
D. together with
The following text is for questions 57 to 60.
Serv. size 1 tbsp
Servings per container about
Total Fat 0 g
Sodium 10 mg
Total Carb 13g
Sugars 8 g
Protein 0 g
*Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet.
corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, sodium citrate.
Distributed by: The Carriage House Companies Inc. Fredonia, NY 14063 U.S.A
57. How many servings can be provided from one can of the product?
A. Less than 20.
B. Exactly 20.
C. About 20.
D. About 28.
58. The information about . . . can't be found on the label.
A. nutrition facts
59. What is the main ingredient of the product?
D. Grape juice.
60. The product is distributed by . . .
A. Fruit Juice Premium
B. Concord Grape Juice
C. Fruit Juice Best Quality
D. The Carriage House Companies Inc.